“When it comes to health, the goal of ‘doing exercise’ is not to become better (stronger, faster) at a narrow range of movements, but to become more capable of a large range of movements, thus improving your mass distribution (your shape) as a whole.”
—Katy Bowman, 52 Weeks: EveryBody Biomechanics!
The idea behind my movement classes is to help students build a deeper connection to themselves while finding joy and adventure in their bodies. The classes are designed for students to explore and reconnect with movements that come naturally to the human body. The exercises we cover (both in group classes and in private instruction) cycle through movements that include crawling, balance work, jumping, running, hanging, tossing/catching, lifting/carrying and various mobility exercises. The format of the classes constantly change so that no two are alike. This helps individuals gain more strength and mobility in their whole body while avoiding overtraining of specific body parts and it keeps boredom at bay. The classes include playful partner and group work, allowing participants to relate to each other in a fun, physical way. These classes are designed for everyone; all bodies are welcome. Each movement has a progression, each progression has its own benefits, and students don’t move onto the next step until the previous one is mastered.
Come out and play!
The benefits of natural/functional movement classes include:
• Reduces wear and tear on the joints
• Improves cardiovascular health
• Increases stability and flexibility for maximum range of motion
• Builds bone density
• Boosts metabolism
• Strengthens fascia (connective tissues)
• Strengthens the pelvic floor
• Improves cognitive skills and proprioception
• Lowers stress levels, relaxes eye muscles, and creates a general sense of well-being through biophilic nourishment
• Increases strength and teaches techniques that can be used in the real world to help yourself and others
“Be strong so you can be helpful.”